Are you planning to upgrade to a larger space by selling your current house?
Or are you in search of a rental property?
One viable option is to hire a real estate agent to assist you with your property transaction.
In fact, it’s possible to engage more than one agent if needed. If you’re unsure whether to work with one or multiple agents, keep reading to learn about the factors to consider and what you should be aware of before making a decision.
How To Engage Agents
When you hire a real estate agent, you sign an agreement with their agency, not directly with them.
It is recommended that you sign one of the eight different agreements offered by the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA), which cover all types of residential property transactions.
These agreements specify important details such as the duties of the agency and agent, disclosure of potential conflicts of interest, commission payable only upon completion of the transaction, and whether GST is included in the commission amount.
The agreement should be signed before any work is done, and provides access to CEA’s Dispute Resolution Scheme in case of any contractual disputes.
This scheme offers mediation or arbitration through approved centers, giving you peace of mind.
Differences Between An Exclusive And Non-Exclusive Agreement
If you plan to make an exclusive agreement with an agency, there are some important things to keep in mind:
- The agreement will last for a set amount of time, up to three months. You and the agency may agree on a shorter time frame, but it cannot be longer than three months.
- Even if you close the deal on your own or through another agency during this time, you still have to pay the agreed commission fee to the exclusive agency.
- If, within three months after the exclusive agreement ends, you close the deal with someone the agency introduced you to, you still have to pay the agreed commission fee.
- If you choose to make a non-exclusive agreement with any number of agencies, there is no set time limit, and you only have to pay commission to the agency that actually closes the deal.
What Do These All Mean?
When it comes to your property transaction, you have the option to work with one agent exclusively or non-exclusively.
If you choose a non-exclusive agreement, you are free to work with other agents if you change your mind later on.
However, if you decide to work with multiple agents from different agencies, it is important to sign a non-exclusive agreement with each agency.
Which Is Better – One Or Multiple Agents?
The term “better” varies depending on one’s personal preferences and needs.
Hiring multiple agents can give you access to a wider range of potential buyers or sellers, which may result in a faster transaction.
However, managing communication with several agents individually can be time-consuming.
As a seller working with multiple agents, you will need to compare offers received at different times and ensure that viewing requests are scheduled without overlaps.
Some people prefer to work with just one agent for convenience.
If you choose to work exclusively with an agent, they are likely to devote more time and resources to your transaction because they have a higher chance of earning a commission.
It is recommended that you attach a “Commitment to Service” document when signing an exclusive agreement.
This document specifies the range of services provided, such as advertising frequency and open house sessions. If the agent fails to meet the agreed-upon commitment, you have the right to terminate the agreement.
Should You Buy, Sell or Wait?
If you’re reading this, you must be trying to figure out the best course of action right now: is it the right time to buy or sell?
It’s difficult to give an exact answer since everyone’s situation is unique and what works for one person may not necessarily work for you.
I can bring you a wealth of on-the-ground experience and a data-driven approach to provide clarity and direction. From beginners to experienced investors, our top-down, objective approach will help you on your real estate journey.
I can help you by:
- Offering Strategic Real Estate Advice – I can help create a comprehensive plan to guide you through your property journey.
- Connecting Your Home with the Perfect Buyers – Through stunning visuals, an effective communication strategy, and an in-depth knowledge of the market, we’ll ensure your home is presented in the best possible way to fulfill your goals.
You May Also Like …